I grew up in a southern house hold where my mom made fried okra that was breaded and fried in vegetable oil. It was so greasy that my mom would dump it on a paper towel and it would be soaked with grease, kind of like the five guys bag when you order French fries. Anyways I love that comfort food that I grew up with and it it very delicious, but now that I am a nutrition major and want to watch my weight I am looking for recipes that have the same full flavor but less of the fat and grease. I have found an awesome roasted okra recipe so I can eat my comfort food and be guilty free! I don’t know about you guys but I love nothing more than an easy and healthy recipe.
Here are the step by step directions to this amazing dish:
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degree
2. Rinse the okra and cut the tops off
3. Next cut the okra into bite size pieces
4. Toss in olive oil and place on a baking pan
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 15-20 minutes
Next I love fried chicken, and let’s be honest Bojangle’s has some of the best! But if you are trying to watch your weight then that isn’t exactly the most healthy option. So if you want to have your cake and eat it too then try this “fried” baked chicken recipe!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. take chicken breast and marinate in milk for 20 minutes. ( I used skim but you can use whatever you’d like)
3. In a separate bowl mix together: 1 cup flour
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon all-purpose spice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4. Coat a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with olive oil to cover the bottom
5. Dip each chicken breast into the flour mixture and coat both sides. Then place in baking pan.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until crispy and turn over after 20 minutes
These are just two recipes that I have to cut down on fat, but there are more to come!